Saturday, December 5, 2009

The GI Jane look

I absolutely could not stand my hair falling out any longer. I swear I was shedding more than the dog! It's hell to look into the mirror and see bald spots. You just can't imagine what it's like to have to clean out the drain because your hair is clogging it. Besides, it was quickly turning gray as well as being dry & brittle. So, I took matters into my own hands and asked Sam to "buzz cut" me. Here's the results! Did you know that a buzz cut is the American name for a type of haircut named after the sound of the electric razor which is used to shear the hair very closely to the scalp? I refer to it as the GI Jane look because in many countries, armed forces recruits are given buzz cuts when they enter training, originally to prevent the spread of lice. See, a bonus-no head lice!
Love to Know Hair notes that buzzed haircuts for women are a great option if you want to make a statement, are undergoing medical treatment and want to deal with hair loss on your own terms, or just want plain change. How about medical treatment and making a statement? Buzzed hair can work on anyone who chooses to wear it, and buzzed haircuts for women can be stylish and show power and confidence. I had to laugh when I saw their website which actually has this posted:
Although you may feel ready to join the head shave league, please do not take the dive into this deep water under the following circumstances:
  • After a break up
  • While you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • To rebel against your parents (take that Mom!)
  • Because of peer pressure or a “dare”
  • Because you want to fit in
  • To make a statement while experiencing passive-aggressive emotions
I guess undergoing chemo is a legitimate reason. Bert says that the new haircut makes me look like my dad and my brother (nice self-esteem builder, huh?). Guess we can stop questioning my parentage now.

No comments:

Post a Comment