Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yes, Virginia, chemo brain is real!

I'm sure not getting much work done so far this week but "planning" my to-do list for next week. LOL! I'm beginning to wonder if I should be working during treatment as I've felt so out of it lately. While some people choose to take some time off from work during treatment for breast cancer, others decide to work through treatment. I, obviously, have chosen to work during treatment. Unfortunately, my treatments have side effects that sometimes affects my daily routine (like nausea and fatigue). Yes Virginia, chemo brain is real, but its cause is unknown. How often it happens, what may trigger it, or what can be done to prevent it, is also unknown. Cognitive effects such as memory loss and lack of concentration can have an impact on work. They suggest keeping a work journal. In your journal, you may want to:

  • Record meetings and appointments with time and date, who the appointment was with, and what was discussed. Keep track of work meetings and doctor's appointments.
  • Jot down important conversations. Make notes that include ideas you want to remember and decisions made during the conversation. If you have regular meetings at work, bring your journal for note-taking.
  • Track deadlines. List when things are due, and keep a timeline of goals met along the way.
  • Make a to-do list and add to it each time you think of something new. Check off items as you accomplish them.
  • Set realistic goals for tasks to be completed. Try to stick to your goals if you can, but don't push yourself too hard.
  • Keep a written schedule to help remember your work days and days off.
Hell, I had to do that before I even started chemo! What does that say about me?

No comments:

Post a Comment