Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Wig

This is me modeling the wig I got from the American Cancer Society. While my hair hasn't started falling out yet, my hairstylist, Sam, pointed out that I am "shedding" hair when she came to give me a trim today. Now we all lose some hairs naturally each day, when we brush, comb, or shampoo. Around 50 to 150 hairs are shed each day but this may mean the hair loss is beginning. But chemotherapy and radiation treatment will cause hair loss because it stops hair cells from dividing. Hairs become thin and break off as they exit the scalp. This occurs one to three weeks after the treatment. Patients can lose up to 90 percent of their scalp hair. The hair will regrow after treatment ends and patients may want to get wigs before treatment. There are some drugs in development to help prevent this hair loss from occurring (well hurry it the hell up already!)
So we got out the wig and styled it. Ok everybody, what's the verdict? I'm not sure I'll wear it as I also ordered a scarf yesterday just to be prepared. I'm sure I still won't really be prepared but I can certainly fake it! Actually practically everyone in the house has been trying the wig on. Hannah liked it so much she decided to color her hair a similar color. Even Sam's daughter Samara had to try it on. I have a picture of her modeling the wig but it will only post sideways. I tried to rotate it and save it but it only saved sideways so I didn't post it here. It's too bad as it's a really cute picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment