Thursday, November 26, 2009

A day of thanks

A quiet day as I gear up to do the midnight shift at AWP. It was a scaled down version of Thanksgiving Day-turkey & gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, rolls and pumpkin pie only. Not our usual fare but nice enough. I prepared the turkey and stuck him in the oven right before noon then promptly fell asleep on the couch! Guess I needed the nap. My hair is really starting to fall out now. Especially around the temples. Think I'll call Sam to have her buzz it down even shorter. I think if I hadn't been so tired this morning I might have cried when I saw the hair coming out so furiously. Or maybe I've just accepted it as inevitable.
We had the hair discussion at chemo yesterday and someone said it best when he said, "I'd rather be hairless and alive than hairy and dead". I guess that says it all. Makes me think about what I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for my family (well most of them anyway), my friends & co-workers who have come through for me in such a big way and the support from all the folks I work with in C-U and Springfield. That's really what keeps me going these days. I'm also thankful to have discovered the cancer early enough to kick its ass! I'm thankful for my medical team who are helping me win this fight. I'm thankful to have a fighting spirit and will continue to chase the devil called cancer because I am on the offensive. He'd better watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment