Sunday, November 29, 2009

Losing hair

I am far less fatigued today! I even woke up hungry this morning. The digestive problems have been few and far between so far but when they do decide to hit, its imperative that I am near a bathroom! They warn that when your hair begins falling out, it will fall out in clumps and it really does! I can't describe what it's like to see all that hair in the shower-it's unreal. I found this quote on-line, “There are studies that show that for many women, losing their hair is worse than losing a breast. That's because you can conceal the loss of a breast, but hair loss is so obvious and apparent. ” I think its right on the money! I'm still pretty freaked out about losing my hair so I've ordered some scarves and hats. Maybe I should just shave it off now and be done with it!
I am receiving carboplatin and docetaxel as well as herceptin. All cause hair loss (including head, underarm, pubic, eyebrow and eyelash hair). Hair loss may begin after the first few chemo treatments. The extent and location of the hair loss varies from person to person. Currently, there is no known prevention for hair loss due to chemotherapy. Through the years, attempts have been made to reduce hair loss by using tight bands or ice caps. These techniques were thought to reduce the blood flow to the hair follicles, thus limiting the chemotherapy exposure. Unfortunately, these techniques did little more than cause headaches and have been abandoned in most settings. It may take from three to six months after therapy is completed or it may start growing back while receiving chemotherapy. The "new" hair may have a slightly different color, texture, or curl. I'd be happy to lose all my leg hair but that ain't happening! Hair generally grows back after treatment. But what if it doesn't? There are no guarantees!

No comments:

Post a Comment