Sunday, November 15, 2009

Beating Cancer with Attitude

"Human beings, by changing the inner attitude of mind can change the outer aspects of their lives." - William James

Doctors can't prescribe a dose of "positive" attitude but they say that patients who "look on the bright side" tend to handle medical problems better than others. They seem quicker to seek help when they need it and more motivated to follow doctors' orders. Even more important, they appear to believe they're going to get healthier. Being an optimist also has been associated with a healthier immune system and an ability to better cope with physical pain. Still other studies have connected a positive attitude to a quicker recovery from heart surgery and a reduced likelihood of re-hospitalization, as well as to a superior ability to handle the emotional upheaval of life-threatening illnesses like cancer.
I still can't help but wonder if my breast cancer is a consequence of the negative attitude that I have been harboring for the past four years (maybe longer). Do not underestimate the fact that your attitude is the key to success in your life. Do not underestimate that you hold all the power and the keys to your own future. The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude in my life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past. It is more important than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, or skill. The thing is that we have the choice every day about the attitude we will include for the day, have for this event, for every moment in our lives. We can change our attitude, which will ultimately affect our lives. So I decided not to question or complain about my breast cancer, but to accept and embrace it as a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment