Friday, October 30, 2009

Get your casket from Wal-Mart!

Yesterday was such a long day that I've been pooped all day today! I did manage to get in a few hours of work though. In yesterday's paper there was an article about Wal-Mart selling caskets and urns on their website. This generated a discussion about burial vs. cremation. We also discussed organ donation. The general consensus was to take the useable organs and burn the rest. Then scatter my ashes over what used to be Big Daddy's Bar in Pontiac as well as the softball field I used to play on! Those were places where I spent many happy hours. Even better, have a kegger-build a funeral pyre in the yard and as I go up in flames "toast" me. Just save my ashes to be scattered later! Or use my ashes to make jewelry. Mike didn't think it was funny. He got upset with me.
I wasn't trying to be morbid, just realistic. We never know exactly how much time we have on this earth. I watched today's Oprah Winfrey Show with Patrick Swayze's widow Lisa Niemi, who spoke candidly about losing her husband just six weeks ago to pancreatic cancer. Niemi told Winfrey she has learned a lot from losing her husband. "You end up living a lot more in the moment...," she said. "You realize that we don't have anybody for long, and we don't even have our own lives for long." How true. Even though during his final months she told him several times daily, "I love you,"she said her one regret was that she didn't tell Swayze she loved him enough (during their marriage). I don't want to live my life with any regrets.


No comments:

Post a Comment