Monday, October 5, 2009

Did anyone get the number of that truck?

I swear I've been run over by a truck! Ever inch of my body hurts. They warned me that fatigue is the most common symptom associated with cancer and cancer treatment. There are no standard definitions for cancer-related fatigue, although it has been characterized as overwhelming, whole-body tiredness that is unrelated to activity or exertion. It is not easily relieved by sleep or rest. Boy, they weren't kidding. Other than that, I feel fine. I have a hemovac for wound drainage that is due to be removed tomorrow. I'm glad because it's itching something terrible. The purpose of this type of device is to promote healing by draining fluid from the wound. This prevents swelling and pooling of blood and fluid. The drainage tube is threaded through the skin into the wound near the surgical incision and is held in place by stitches. I keep catching it on things and yanking on it. Luckily, I haven't pulled it out! This is what the hemovac looks like (see right):
Today is the Day of Unity for Domestic Violence Awareness Month. AWF had it's annual silent march and press conference. It sucks that I couldn't be there! I know it went well and the gang at AWF is handling things, but this was my baby. I'm thankful to all of my lovely co-workers for stepping up for me! I was able to get some fresh air this evening sitting out on the front porch and it was great. It really helped me to feel better and less fatigued.




No comments:

Post a Comment