Friday, January 15, 2010

Restless legs and weird dreams

I sure haven't gotten much done this week. I think, dare I say it, that I'm finally beginning to feel better! Last night was a rough one though. The restless leg syndrome was really acting up and when I did sleep I had very weird dreams. I dreamed that I was at the house in Deland. I was standing in the livingroom, looking out the font door, when I saw this guy ride up on a bicycle and steal my newspaper. Boy was I pissed! He rode off and I chased him on foot. I didn't catch him but saw where he went. I then confronted him and started beating the crap out of him for stealing my newspaper. Seems kind of extreme over a newspaper, huh? So, I ask, what does this dream mean?
To see a house in your dream, represents your own soul and self. To dream that you are in the living room, represents the image that you portray to others and the way which you go about your life. It is representative of your basic beliefs about yourself and who you are. To see a bicycle in your dream, indicates that you need to devote time to leisurely pursuits and recreation. To see or read a newspaper in your dream, signifies that new light and insight is being shed on a waking problem that has been on your mind. You are seeking knowledge and answers to a problem. To dream that you are unable to read the newspaper, indicates that your reputation is being called into question. There is some uncertainty in a situation that you are pursuing. To dream that you are a witness to a theft or a victim of theft, indicates that others are wasting your time and stealing energy and ideas. Perhaps you feel robbed in some way. If you are chasing someone, the dream may highlight your drive and ambition to go after something you want. Or perhaps the dream suggests that you are falling behind and having to catch up with everyone else. To dream that you are beating someone, indicates that you are shoving your own views and opinions on others.
Later I dreamed that I apologized to the thief, only I was then back at the home I lived in during high school, in Pontiac. To dream that you are apologizing to someone, denotes your revolving door of friendships and friends who have come and gone in your life. It is also representative of truth and forgiveness. It is time to let go of past grudges. To dream about high school, refers to the bounds and friendships that you made while you were in high school.
Dream theorist, Alfred Adler (1870 -1937) believed that dreams are an important tool to mastering control over your waking lives. They are problem-solving devices. Dreams need to be brought to the conscious and interpreted so that better understanding can be shed on your problems. It is important to learn from your dreams and incorporate them into your waking life. Adler believes that there is a correlation between your dreams and the problems in your daily life. The more dreams you have, the more problems you are likely to have. Conversely, the less dreams you have, the less problems you have and the more psychologically healthy you are. (So how messed up am I?) Adler believes that it is control, power and motivation that drives your behavior. Furthermore, Adler does not think that an individual's actions and behavior are ruled by the unconscious. He believes that the strive for perfection and need for control are what causes you to do the things you do. In fact, Adler does not believe that the conscious and unconscious function against each other. Instead, they act the same way whether you are awake or sleeping. Adler's views on dreams are that they are an open pathway toward your true thoughts, emotions and actions. In your dreams, you clearly see your aggressive impulses and desires. Dreams are also a way of overcompensating for the shortcomings in your waking life.
I'm beginning to wonder about these aggressive tendencies I'm seeing in my dreams. First I'm burning down houses, now I'm beating people up!


No comments:

Post a Comment