Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How can I get magnesium into my system?

I am so sick and tired of this magnesium deficiency. The medication I was on made me feel so crappy and we were unable to regulate it that I have stopped it. I feel better physically, other than being tired. I'm working to get magnesium into my body in other ways, like certain foods and supplements. Eating a variety of whole grains, legumes, and vegetables (especially dark-green, leafy vegetables) every day will help provide recommended intakes of magnesium and maintain normal storage levels of this mineral. Increasing dietary intake of magnesium can often restore mildly depleted magnesium levels. However, increasing dietary intake of magnesium may not be enough to restore very low magnesium levels to normal [Oh Shit!]. Foods like spinach, nuts, oatmeal, peanut butter, potatoes, beans, bananas, yogurt and milk are good sources of magnesium so I'm trying to eat as much of those as possible.
I did some more research into magnesium. The health status of the digestive system and the kidneys significantly influence magnesium status. Magnesium is absorbed in the intestines and then transported through the blood to cells and tissues. Approximately one-third to one-half of dietary magnesium is absorbed into the body. Gastrointestinal disorders that impair absorption (such as Crohn's disease) can limit the body's ability to absorb magnesium. These disorders can deplete the body's stores of magnesium and in extreme cases may result in magnesium deficiency. Chronic or excessive vomiting and diarrhea may also result in magnesium depletion.
Healthy kidneys are able to limit urinary excretion of magnesium to make up for low dietary intake. However, excessive loss of magnesium in urine can be a side effect of some medications and can also occur in cases of poorly-controlled diabetes and alcohol abuse. Early signs of magnesium deficiency include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness. As magnesium deficiency worsens, numbness, tingling, muscle contractions and cramps, seizures (sudden changes in behaviors caused by excessive electrical activity in the brain), personality changes, abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms can occur [Yikes!]. Severe magnesium deficiency can result in low levels of calcium in the blood (hypocalcemia). Magnesium deficiency is also associated with low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia).
When blood levels of magnesium are very low, intravenous (i.e. by IV) magnesium replacement is usually recommended [Sounds like fun, huh?]. Magnesium tablets may also be prescribed, although some forms can cause diarrhea [Ya think?]. I guess we will know if I was successful in elevating my magnesium level next week when I go for Round #5 of chemo!






No comments:

Post a Comment