Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Goodbye to AWF

It was the ending of an era and a sad day for A Woman's Fund. Today was my last day of work as A Woman's Fund will soon cease to exist. Tomorrow I will apply for unemployment, which will be a new experience. There was an article in today's News Gazette about my leaving. Ironically, today's tarot card is the Tower card, which suggests that my alter ego today is the Survivor, whose superpower for revolution lies in my epiphany for change, brought on with the aid of a serious reality check. Today I have reached a turning point. It may be all over but the crying -- but I have the strength to move on and create a better situation for myself. You may say that I never saw it coming or learned the hard way, but with profound change comes new opportunity. One door closes -- another opens. So tear down the wall, and rebuild anew. Back in March the Tower card also came up right after I was put on partial medical leave. I guess the Universe was trying to tell me back then what lay ahead. Too bad I didn't know it then!
Jenny Gleason, one of the counselors at A Woman's Place, who is also not staying on, passed out an excerpt from the book The Beginning of Every Transition Is An Ending. According to the excerpt, "In this time of discontinuity, it will help to remember your continuities. No matter what has changed in your life, there are things that have not changed. Now is the time to recall those things and treasure them. Whatever inner strength you've known before, you can draw on it again." Good advice. It was very weird handing over my keys, knowing that I no longer have the right to come and go as I please. It is no longer "my building". Since so many people are not staying on, it was like breaking up one big family. A friend of mine suggested I take time to think about what I really want to do and pursue that desire. It took all of about 2 seconds to say Roller Derby! Now, if I could only parlay that into a job, I'd be deliriously happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment