Monday, June 28, 2010

My Bucket List

As you probably already know, a "bucket list" is a list of things to do before you "kick the bucket" (i.e., die). My bucket list is actually a work in progress. But this weekend I got to cross 2 more items off the list! I spent the weekend in Kentucky visiting my two "bestest" friends, Karen and Sharon. We've been friends since Junior High and no matter how long it is between visits, we always pick up where we left off. I think Karen said it best when she said, "It felt like old times. We may have a few more wrinkles and a lot more gray hair, but that comes with the territory. Underneath it all, we are all just great friends that don't get to see each other very often." This visit was the first item on my list. I had been planning this trip since my breast cancer diagnosis. I had wanted to go earlier in the year but I got all wrapped up with roller derby, which was also on my list (after I first learned about the league). So, I finally got off my a$$ and headed to Kentucky. I had the best time. It was so nice to just "hang out" with Karen and Sharon. We spent Saturday afternoon hanging out in Karen's pool, along with Cassie, Karen's daughter.
Saturday night we went to dinner at Outback Steakhouse then dropped Karen back at home before heading off to Todd's Karaoke Bar. There we met up with Sharon's friend, Michelle and Cassie's friend, Joy, along with her fiancee, Ricky. Another item on my bucket list was to sing karaoke even though I possess the worst voice in the world! I was, after all, kicked out of the church choir at the age of 11. Sadly, my voice hasn't improved any over the years! LOL. So, I sang The Time Warp while Sharon, Cassie, Michelle and Joy danced the time warp! Fortunately, no one threw anything at me nor booed me off the stage! We closed down the bar and then went out to eat, arriving "home" around 5 am! Although Todd's could be called a little dive bar, I loved it. If you're ever in Lexington, Kentucky be sure to check it out! So, to my old friends, as well as my new-found friends, I say thank you for indulging me and giving me the chance to cross this item off my list.
Sunday found us relaxing and watching a movie. Karen grilled up some tasty burgers and hot dogs for supper. I took off for home after supper as severe storms were due to hit the area. As I left Kentucky, a wave of sadness hit me, although I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's my fear of not seeing them again? I have no immediate plans to die so it's an unrealistic fear. I do vow to visit them more often as we let far too many years go by this last time! The storms caught up with me about 70 miles into the State of Construction (aka Indiana). There was 25 miles of pounding sheets of rain where you couldn't drive over 35 mph! It subsided around Indy but started up again as I crossed into Illinois. I can no longer complain about the traffic in Champaign-Urbana after driving through Indianapolis! I can tell you that everyone in Indiana drives the speed limit, which is very annoying. Nevertheless, it was a great visit and I look forward to the next one! I have also vowed to not let things go unsaid so I can only say to Karen and Sharon that I love you and treasure your friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment