Thursday, March 11, 2010

Waxing Nostalgic

Sorry that there was no post last night but I had a horrendous headache. I even missed roller derby practice! Yesterday was my first "official" day at part-time and I spent it fighting that damn headache. I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself anyway, but that sure wasn't fun. In theory, the time off is great but in practice I'm having trouble "letting go". It is so automatic to jump in and take care of things, that I have to remind myself that there is someone else "womaning" the organization. Today I went to Springfield for a workshop. When traveling, I like to listen to my MP3 player (on my phone) through my hands-free device. As I'm trying to figure out what to do with all this free time, I'm thinking back on what I used to do in my younger days. That's when I realized that I have an eclectic mix of music and many of the songs have a special meaning that take me back.
I love 70's music! Let Your Love Flow by the Bellamy Brothers is the song we used to skate backwards to at the Roller Rink. We also skated to Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers. Both of those songs make me want to throw on my skates and take off! I have even been known to "pretend skate" through the grocery store when one of those song was playing over their speakers! Me and my best friends (Karen, Sharon & Lori) were "rink rats". We loved to roller skate. Hell, I still do! We were there every Sunday night and sometimes other nights as well. There was a whole Sunday night crowd of us who used to skate together. Those were some good times that give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. I like to think that Lori, who departed this life several years ago, is roller skating wherever she may be and smiling upon me as I roller derby. I'm excited to say that next month I'm planning a weekend visit with Karen and Sharon and I can't wait!
There are other songs like, Help Me Hold On by Travis Tritt, The Chair by George Strait, If Tomorrow Never Comes by Garth Brooks and Killin' Time by Clint Black that remind me of the Aunt Sonya's crowd (Char, Roxy, Amy and several others) who hung with me at The Rose Bowl on Sunday nights when Gator Alley played. After all, we were their back-up singers, aka "The Gatorettes". We certainly weren't very good but we were enthusiastic! We worked hard and played even harder! I could not have asked for a better group of friends. I could always depend on them, no matter what. We always had a good time, even when we fought over "Wayne". Alas, "Wayne" is a story for another night!
And then there are songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions by Queen that are extremely special because they remind me of Hannah & Mike "rocking out" when Hannah was about 3 years old. They would listen to Queen and play "air" guitar. They were quite cute together. I didn't realize that music held so many happy memories for me until I saw my playlist. So many "happy places" to visit through music!

No comments:

Post a Comment