In today's modern life there are a seemingly endless series of options and avenues. At each turn, life seems to present numerous complications. It becomes hard to resist the allure of doing more things and trying to solve every problem. However, we are often, consciously or unconsciously, yearning for a more simple life. If we can make an effort to bring more simplicity into our lives, we will find many benefits arise. I took a quiz about simplifying my life. It said that I could simplify by running fewer errands. It further stated, "You're good at taking charge, getting things done, and looking great in the process. But, while you like being the boss of an active life, sometimes you might feel like you spend more time in your car than you do at home. Wouldn't it be great if you could have a personal assistant to see to your to-do list while you multitasked on the more important things? You know that a star like you is completely capable of running the show yourself, but you may shine a bit brighter if you learn to delegate — even if that just means that the Chinese restaurant down the street cooks your dinner tonight instead of you. Now that's using your noodle!" So, how do we simplify?
- Peace of Mind - Real simplicity begins in the mind. If we have numerous anxieties and problems it is not possible to have peace of mind. Simplicity means we learn to clear the mind and not allow ourselves to be bombarded by an endless stream of needless thoughts.
- Living in the present - We can become so concerned about what may happen tomorrow or next year that we forget to enjoy the present moment. To have one’s focus on the here and now, is to encompass life as it is supposed to be.
- Less Planning and Thinking - When we complicate life through our endless planning we bring tomorrow’s problems into today. Yet it is always worth remembering that our worries and fears about the future often prove to be groundless.
- Avoiding Judgement - It is human nature to criticize and judge other people. If we feel it is our duty to change others, there can be no simplicity and peace in our life. Rather than try to change others, let us just try to focus on changing ourselves. Our own weaknesses are probably more than enough to deal with.
- Focus and Achievement - Simplicity enables more to be achieved. Simplicity means that we are focused on one thing at a time. Often, when we simplify our life, we find we can actually achieve more than when we juggled several things at once.
- Simplicity and Beauty - Simplicity is often synonymous with beauty. Man has never been able to improve on the beauty and simplicity of nature.
- Happiness - Be happy with what you have.
Keeping things simple is absolutely key in attaining inner peace, self improvement and harmony.