Saturday, May 22, 2010

TCDG's First Bout was a Huge Success!

Last night was the Twin City Derby Girls first Bout. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the local chapter of the Young Survival Coalition (YSC). YSC organizes events and programs for young women affected by breast cancer. I was very pleased that the league chose such a worthy organization to support for our very first Bout which honored me and Coffey Break-Her (from the Boneyard Bombshells) as breast cancer survivors. Although there were many nervous stomachs before the Bout, everything fell into place. A big shout out to the Bout Committee and the Bout Coordinators for such a smooth debut. You Rock! And to those who envisioned this league and made it happen, especially Cruel Whip & Ghirley Manson, you have my undying gratitude. Roller Derby makes me fight even harder everyday to beat this cancer and stay healthy. We "packed" the Savoy Recreation Center -- well, as packed as it can be. Congrats to the Boneyard Bombshells who won the bout over our team, The 'Paign. It was kick ass; everyone played their ass off and gave the crowd a great show so we should all be proud of ourselves. Many people have been asking when the next bout will be. Soon, I hope as I can't wait to do it again! The after bout party at Clark Bar was a blast. You can't beat good food, great friends and alcohol!
See, this past week has been a rough one for me. I learned that one of my high school classmates died from a heart attack. He was only 47. It's not like we were close or anything; I hadn't talked to him in many, many years. But I think his death triggered something for me. I'm not afraid to die but I think I realized I'm definitely not ready to die. I have too much life to live still. So, the Bout couldn't have come at a better time. It made me realize that I can't worry about how much time I have left, I just have to live it. Roller Derby is what has pulled me through this week. Last night was a good night. Sharing the Bout experience with my teammates, league mates, family and friends was an experience I'll never forget. As Coach La so aptly put it, we made history last night in C-U. Now sit back and watch Roller Derby take off! Hell, we'll have our own facility before you know it! I got home this morning around 2:30 am feeling on top of the world, content with life. Roller Derby Rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment