Saturday, February 6, 2010

Roller Derby and a new boob

I have been wanting to get active again, so today I went out and joined the Twin City Derby Girls (TCDG) Roller Derby League. So what is Roller Derby you ask? In 1935, during the Great Depression, Leo Seltzer invented a spectacle called Roller Derby. Sometime in early 1935, Leo read an article in Literary Digest magazine that said ninety-three percent of Americans roller skated at one time or another during their lives. Discussing the article with some of the regulars at Ricketts, a restaurant in Chicago's Near North Side, Seltzer was challenged to come up with a sport utilizing roller skating participants.
Originally, the derby was a long distance track race. Periodically collisions and crashes occurred as skaters tried to lap those ahead of them. Seltzer realized this was the most exciting part of the event and Roller Derby became a full contact sport with elbowing, body checks and fights. The fans loved it. The sport peaked in the late forties and fifties, drawing as many as 30 - 40 thousand fans per bout. The hype continued through the sixties and seventies until the expense of travel and competition from other entertainment forms killed off the larger leagues in the late 1970's.
Since then, Roller Derby has remained largely dormant until recently. The National all-female derby revival began in 2001 in Austin, Texas and has been gathering speed ever since. The new generation of derby skaters pays homage to the theatrical tradition of the past but play by real rules with real penalties, real referees and real champions. Modern day roller derby is a fast paced, hard hitting, explosive sport that combines the spirit of Seltzer's vision with genuine athleticism.
On Saturdays they have an open skate where they run practice drills, giving you a chance to see if you like it. It was the most fun I've had in a while even though it was a workout. I didn't remember just how physical roller skating was until this morning. Hell, I even managed to work up a sweat. Not having been on skates for several years, I was a little worried about staying up on my feet, but it took me all of about 5 seconds to get into the swing of it again. I did bust my ass a few times as I was practicing jumps but I got right back up. Right after practice, I joined up. I even ordered a pair of skates before leaving the roller rink. Now I have to come up with a cool derby name. I have to decide by Wednesday, so if you have any suggestions let me know by then! Be sure to check out TCDG at www.twincityderbygirls.com!
Now, while skating, I did notice that my balance was slightly off due to having only one boob. I had not noticed a balance problem before but get up on wheels and watch out! I was wondering how to compensate for it when I realized what I had to do -- get a new boob! So, I went to Confidentially Yours and bought myself one. Actually, insurance paid for a good portion of it. I got the Amoena Natura which, according to the brochure, features a soft front drape that closely matches a natural breast shape, while the gel back flows gently over your chest wall for a close fit, moving naturally with you. I was so enamored with it that I couldn't stop touching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment