Wednesday, November 16, 2011

All the right things

I know that I've spent a great deal of time bitchin' about all the insensitive jerks you have to deal with when diagnosed with cancer. And since my sister always likes to remind me to be grateful for what I do have, I would be remiss if I didn't recognize all of you who said or did the right thing at the right time. While there were many, these stand out most in my mind, but in no particular order:

  • My friend Karen, who, when I complained about all those people saying how brave I was, told me that you never know how strong you are until you have to be. I realized that what others viewed as bravery, I saw as necessity.
  • My colleague, Mike, who said upon learning my diagnosis, "Cancer doesn't know who it's messing with". He made me smile at a time I wanted to cry.
  • My friend, Steve, who was always willing to listen to my crazy ramblings and fears.
  • My friend, Deb, who simply said, "I'm here for you". I never felt so loved.
  • My sister-in-survivorship and leaguemate Coffey Break-Her, who immediately recognized me as a survivor and has been right there with me since day 1 in roller derby.
  • My leaguemate, Ghirley Manson, who told me to "Put on your big girl panties and skate". It was the best piece of advice I have ever been given! [much love to Ghirley]
  • Coach La, who always seemed to know when I needed those words of encouragement.
  • The 'Paign and Coach RAH for always having my back. It's like having my own personal, cancer-fighting army. I love you all and could never have gotten through this without each and every one of you. Go 'Paign!
  • My friend Mary Vita, who, when I had hardly any hair, said, "Let's go to lunch". She didn't care what others thought.
  • My daughter, Hannah, by whom I set those milestones to meet: her high school graduation, her college graduation, her wedding, meeting my future grandchildren...She's always believed that I would survive this battle.
  • My sister, Bert, who said, "Do what you have to do to get better; take all the time you need".
  • My mother, who was always here with me through those trying chemo days.
  • My co-workers at A Woman's Fund, who held down the fort when I couldn't.
  • The most awesomest roller derby league, the Twin City Derby Girls. You never let me wallow in self-pity and certainly never treated me like a cancer patient. You all saved my life by letting me be a part of something so great!

As I started to think about all the wonderful people in my life, I realized that I do have a lot to be grateful for. And if I missed anyone, I apologize, I'm old and suffer from CRS {Can't Remember Shit}. Hugs and kisses to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment