Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. It's been a lazy day. I have lounged around in my pj's all day, watching the Arrested Development marathon on IFC and eating too much! And what's this about stores opening up even earlier for Black Friday? A 5am opening isn't good enough anymore? I abhor Black Friday and all its craziness. Luckily, I have to work at Community Green tomorrow. As a matter of fact, that's where I've done most of my Christmas shopping. We get some nice things at the shop!

Thanksgiving is one day set aside for giving thanks, but researchers are finding that a daily dose of gratitude promotes health, happiness and social relationships. Researchers are finding that gratitude is a key element of human well-being. It’s getting increasing attention from psychologists, especially those within the growing movement known as positive psychology, which studies well-being. They are finding that grateful people are optimistic and energetic and deal better with stress and illness. Cultivating an “attitude of gratitude” has been linked to better health, sounder sleep, less anxiety and depression, higher long-term satisfaction with life and kinder behavior toward others. Gratitude, in short, can make you happier. Socially, gratitude builds connections.

One way to "practice" gratitude is to start with "gratitude lite". Keep a journal listing five things for which you felt grateful, like a friend’s generosity, something you learned, a sunset you enjoyed. Just one sentence for each of the five things — and done only once a week. So what am I thankful for? Two years ago at this time, I had just started chemo, having recovered from surgery. Today, I’m truly blessed to be in good health. I’m thankful for all of my family and friends who supported me through these past two years. And I’m so fortunate to have my derby family —my team, league-mates, coaches and refs, who were all there for me during that trying time.

When all else fails, remember the Monty Python mantra of the Black Plague victim: “I’m not dead.” It’s all a matter of perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Love you Tami. I'm grateful you are still here and still make me laugh. You probably don't remember writing it but we were given a writing assignment in grade school to write about the person we admire most and you wrote about me. (not sure why LOL) but afterwards you gave it to me and I still have it! Whenever I was feeling down about myself I would come across it, and read it, and it helped to know someone out there thought those things about me, even if we were just kids. Now I get to read your blog, so keep writing. Debbie

    ReplyDelete