Sunday, February 27, 2011

A bittersweet ending

Derby Boot Camp ended this afternoon. My bruised and battered body was ready for it to be over but my heart was not. It's not often that I get to immerse myself in derby 24/7 but for the last 5 days, I did. I must tell you that here in Texas, they are dead serious about derby! Sometimes I felt unworthy as I saw so much talent down here. I met a lot of great skaters and coaches and took the opportunity to learn from them all. I learned a lot about derby and a lot about myself. It reminds me of a poem by Bonnie D. Stroir about living life your own way:

Tight Rope Life

The day I learned to lose my frown
it was the day I'd not look down
ever forward, steady, slow
with no regard to what's below

The end of the tunnel?
fuck all that.
the end of the wire:
now that's where it's at!

I'll keep on inching,
just the same.
and when I've crossed
you'll know my name.

I have enjoyed escaping the Illinois winter for 80 degree weather and especially enjoyed visiting with my brother, David, sister-in-law, Debi and niece, Rachel. I introduced Rachel to roller derby as we all went to the Blood and Thunder bout on Saturday night. Now she wants a pair of roller skates! But I have over a dozen pages of notes from camp and I can't wait to share what I've learned with my teammates and my league mates. So, I guess it's back to the unrelenting Illinois winter and reality. So long, Texas, I hope to see you again real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment