Thursday, February 24, 2011

Able to leap 2 people in a single bound

Today was the first "official" day of Derby Boot Camp. We worked on footwork, bouncing back and getting in front (when knocked out of bounds), which blocks to use when, stopping on a dime & reversing direction and what Bonnie D. Stroir likes to call Effing around makes you better at derby. This is where you do silly things while skating so your body learns how to react in situations. During this session we worked on jumps and Bonnie laid down and had us jump over her. We then did a drill where we all laid down on the track, 6 of us on each side and when the whistle blew, the first person got up and jumped over the other 5. When they got to the end, they laid down and yelled "clear" so the others knew to roll to keep everyone on the straightaway. We got through that ok so she had us lie together in pairs which meant we had to jump over 2 people. I did just fine until I got to the last pair. I somehow managed to catch my toe stop on the track and flew through the air right over them! Everybody was holding their breathe as I did my best superman impression but as soon as I hit the ground, I yelled "clear" causing everyone to laugh. The only bad part about it was that I landed on my right elbow, which is already bruised from yesterday! Tomorrow's agenda includes: fearless jamming, edging, whips and some off-skate training. That means I need to take this bruised and battered body to bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment