Thursday, March 1, 2012

Life is good!

A big hello to everyone out there. I know it's been a while since I wrote, but as you know, life happens. So, what have I been up to? I have been incredibly busy with Community Green as we opened our second location today! We now have a second shop in Mahomet, IL. Today was the grand opening and it was extremely successful. Urbana had a good opening but Mahomet had a fabulous opening. We ended up opening up early as we had so much interest in our shop! We got lots of positive comments.

And even better, I was offered a job yesterday!!! I will be joining the team at Teen Parenting Service Network to provide individual case consultation for service providers regarding policy and procedure, resources and client issues of placement, education, clinical needs, etc. while protecting teen parents rights. They were extremely interested in my domestic violence background and impressed with my work on the Illinois Certified Domestic Violence Professionals Board. They think I have a lot to offer. And, since it's only 20 hours a week, I can still work with Community Green!!!

In February, I passed my roller derby skills test for the third time (Yay) and continue to skate for The 'Paign. I'm such a maniac when I take that test, throwing myself to the floor during the "falls" portion. But I was actually tamer this go round...still nervous but tamer. You see, there's quite the long laundry list of skills one must be proficient at in order to become and/or remain a derby girl. They have become almost second nature by now since we continually practice them. So, I'm not sure why I freak out about it.

Last weekend, I attended the C4YW conference in New Orleans. C4YW, co-hosted by Living Beyond Breast Cancer and Young Survival Coalition, and generously supported by Lead Sponsor Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is the only international conference dedicated to the issues of young women affected by breast cancer and those who love and care for them. It was my first visit to New Orleans and Bourbon Street. I had a blast (Any of my Facebook friends can attest to that!). The conference was great, too. I learned a lot and made some great new friends. I even tried belly dancing and authentic creole cuisine!

So, knock on wood that my good fortune continues!


No comments:

Post a Comment