Thursday, May 26, 2011

Still having fun

Last weekend the Twin City Derby Girls held our first bout of the season. My team, the 'Paign beat the McLean County Missfits 159 - 53. And I got to jam! Ok, so I was a bit of a spaz out there but we were so far ahead that I couldn't screw it up. I even managed to score some points! I enjoyed myself more than I can even explain. I played softball for many years and loved it but the rush I get from derby is so much greater. I think it is because of the cancer. All emotions are heightened now. Everything I get to do is a bonus. Fear doesn't stop me; I'll try anything! I "modeled" in the Derby Fashion Show and I continue to play roller derby. I started skating to beat cancer and continue to skate to keep the cancer at bay. The derby part is the bonus. I think the biggest bonus is my derby family. I don't think I could have made this journey without them. They made me strong and keep me grounded.

The resurgence of the extreme sports craze has helped roller derby make a comeback. Personally, I was tired of the "gym routine" and wanted something more exciting. The campy novelty of the sport was too much to ignore. Our derby names, boutfits and attitudes are all in fun. After all, if you can't make fun of yourself, who can you make fun of? Although the workouts are intense, it's still fun. Racing around the rink may look easy but it's not. It takes a lot of strength and stamina just to keep going. But it is the best workout you will find. Roller derby is a lot like life; it will knock you down but you get back up and keep on rollin!

A lot of the 'Paign decided to get tattoos once we scored our first "W". And tonight's the night. I think most of us are going to get blue stars, since blue is our color. I think I'm getting mine on my left wrist. I want to be able to see it at all times so I will always remember that I am a derby girl. Even when I'm 90!

No comments:

Post a Comment